K3b burning mp3s problem

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Oct 3 12:14:11 MST 2008

From: "Josef Lowder" <joe at actionline.com>
> After creating some mp3 audio tracks on my hp-xp laptop (gag ... because
> I haven't figured out how to do this on my main Linux system yet)

Encoding: lame (there are GUI frontends to lame)
Ripping: cdparanoia (there are GUI frontends to this too)
Both: grip (GUI frontend to cdparanoia/lame)

> the files to an SD chip and then copied them to my Linux box.  But when
> I used K3b to burn a CD, the resulting CD does not play correctly.
> It seems that in the process of burning, K3b changed the format from
> mp3 to "riaa" (not sure of that type) or some other format that is not mp3.
> How can I determine, for sure, what the format is of the files on the CD?

If it's a data CD, "file $FILE" to figure out what $FILE is.  If it's an
audio CD, don't click the "create an audio CD" button on k3b's starting
interface.  Use "create a data CD".

> And how can I make sure that K3b burns the files as mp3 files?

If you choose "create a data CD", then k3b should not alter the data
in the files in any way.  If you use the "show details" or whatever
that button is called, you should see the mkisofs+cdrecord command
that k3b is executing.

This is for stock KDE, though.  Distros with insane Free Software
biases may do stupid things with patent-encumbered formats, even
though they shouldn't.  Which version of which distro are you using?

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows