dd if=hda1 of=whatever ???????

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Fri Oct 3 11:19:33 MST 2008

OK, lets get this organized:
>>> it and then dd the primary drive. That way if I get a virus all I need
>>> to do is dd the file back ontoo the hard drive. So I suppose that I...
dd will read your HD/partition track by track and output it to of=<MYOUTPUT>

You have to place MYOUTPUT somewhere and save it.
It is a file known as an ISO image.

The cookbook is:
1.- boot machine in Linux
2.- run dd against the HD/partition you want to eventually recover, and save
the output to a file, which implies:
2.1- if you have local space, use it.
2.2- if you don't have local space, use a different machine, which makes SSH
the easiest transport mechanism.
3.- reverse the whole enchilada by dd(ing) back your ISO image to the
partition.

And:
Remember to dd the MBR too if you dd the partition instead of the whole
drive, there are partitions considerations that you better understand before
you use this technique.

I'll leave away the details of how to do this until I understand what you
really want to do, my previous instructions are totally unrelated to
dual-boot, and using grub or lilo is irrelevant.

My previous instructions will allow you to take an ISO image of your Window$
system so you can rebuild it afterwards.
Feel free to ask...    :)
Enrique