OT: FS: Gateway Solo 2500 Laptop - $150

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Sat Nov 29 18:59:37 MST 2008

I am selling my first laptop... a Gateway Solo 2500.

15" Screen, 400Mhz Celeron, 128M, 8G (I think... maybe slightly bigger
or smaller)

PCMCIA cards: D-Link 802.11b, Realtek 10Mbps, Xircom 28.8k Modem

Leather(?) Gateway laptop bag.  Nicer than most laptop bags... but heavy.

Gateway MD2+ Dock and Port Replicator (incl, 10/100 ethernet port).

Original docs and software (Win 98).

$150

I can do pictures and links and the like if anybody wants more info.

Why am I selling a Windows 98 laptop on this list, you may ask?  Well,
it spent most of its life as a dedicated Linux laptop.  I got this back
when I was doing KDE development full-time.  Quite a bit of KDE1 and
KDE2 code was written and compiled on this 400Mhz workhorse.  I gave a
bunch of presentations at the various conferences on this laptop as
well.  In fact, I chose this laptop over the others because pretty much
everything on it worked with Linux... which was pretty rare back then.

I'm pretty sure I could get more for it if I pieced it out... but I
can't.  There's way too much sentimental value attached to it to see it
go out in chunks.

It has the original Win98 SE2 on it now but if you'd like, I can install
a Linux distro.  Most modern distros are too resource hungry for it
(Ubuntu and openSUSE swap like mad... Gentoo takes nearly a week to
compile) but Puppy Linux and similar work just fine.

Kurt