OT: Pre-Paid Cell Phones

Dale Farnsworth dale at farnsworth.org
Fri Nov 28 07:54:23 MST 2008

Nathan wrote:
> I am looking for a pre-paid cell phone rather than another contract.
>
> The three available in my area are
>
> Tracfone
>
> Net10
>
> Verizon InPulse
>
> Have any of you used any of these, what is your opinion of it? Please
> only these as that is all that is available in my area.

I use tracfone.  Tracfone uses a variety of carriers, so you can't
predict coverage with any certainty.  But I've been a very satisfied
customer for several years.  My last payment was for 2 years of service
for about $150.  That includes about 900 minutes that don't expire,
provided I maintain service.  Extra minutes are 10 cents, under
their double-minute plan.  Text messages (both incoming and outgoing)
deduct 1/3 minute.

-Dale