Offering Linux hosting

A. W. Wright diamondmagic at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 28 00:40:37 MST 2008

Thomas Cameron wrote:
> A. W. Wright wrote:
>

>> Is it worth it to keep hosted applications in a Virtual Machine? We
>> tried Xen, but it seems to crash the server, I don't know if it has
>> anything to do with the processor not supporting native virtualization.
>> What VM software would you recommend, or are there any good
>> articles/books to read?
>>
> I host several customers using Xen on RHEL 5.  Solid as a rock and very
> fast.  No hardware enabled VT, just paravirt.  What distro were you
> using that crashed?

Installed is Debian etch with backports. Maybe not the best idea to use
backports.org for production applications?

Additionally, I keep a mirror of the server for testing on a virtual
machine, and it didn't like Xen at all, it ran very slow, taking 10
minutes to boot. I remembered, virtual machines on virtual machines
don't work very well.

Austin Wright.