Quad Monitor in Linux

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Tue Nov 25 21:46:44 MST 2008

Charles Jones wrote:
> Kurt Granroth wrote:
>> Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>>>   Has anyone successfully done a Quad Monitor setup in Linux?  Ubunutu?
>>> Gnome/KDE?
>> Not quad, but I was successful with a tri-monitor setup.  I see no
>> reason why four wouldn't work.
>>
> One of my co-workers had a quad setup for awhile, and finally settled on
> a tri-way vertical setup (
> http://www.the-ownage.com/gallery/albums/cellpics/DSC01728.jpg ) and
> moved the larger monitor to a display for his macbook Pro.
>
> I am currently running 2 22" in a similar vertical setup, but since I
> have 2 video cards with dual output I dont see any reason I couldn't go
> quad if I wanted to. I think 3 would be plenty for me. The vertical
> setup is really nice especially when you want a really long terminal or
> browser window. Uses less (physical) desktop space too.

That is a good point.  It's tempting to say "bigger is always better"...
but you start to run into physical limitations with multiple big screens.

At home, I have two 22" monitors.  That's just shy of 4 ft wide.  I
cannot see all of both screens at the same time.

At work, I have three 22" monitors.  That's very nearly 6 ft wide.
That's bigger than many home theater screens and in that case, you are
usually sitting at least 10 ft away.  At about 2-3 feet away from the
screens, when I'm looking at content on the 3rd screen, I can't see the
1st screen at all.

FOUR 22" monitors is approaching 8 ft wide.  That's about as wide as
some rooms.  That's seriously in the territory of "is my desk big
enough" and "what possible use could those be"?

The only way I could see four screens being useful is if they were
stacked in a 2x2 grid.  Then, if you lowered the lower two (or raised
yourself) so that the intersection of the four was at eye level, then
maybe that would look like one huge screen and would be useful.  That's
pushing it, though...

All that said, before I had 3 monitors, I would have sworn that that was
too much... yet I use all three constantly every single day and would
loath having to give even one of them up.  Maybe my tune would change if
they gave me one more ;-)