Quad Monitor in Linux

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Tue Nov 25 18:17:20 MST 2008

Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>   Has anyone successfully done a Quad Monitor setup in Linux?  Ubunutu?
> Gnome/KDE?

Not quad, but I was successful with a tri-monitor setup.  I see no
reason why four wouldn't work.

We actually did this at work.  All the developers got 3 22" LCDs.  The
workstations had two dual-output Nvidia cards.  We got this working on
openSUSE, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Centos, and GoboLinux with desktops ranging
from KDE to GNOME to Ratpoison and xmonad.  It's all about X.

The setup that worked the best, by far, was to use NVidia's TwinView to
manage two of the monitors and then combine that pair with the third
monitor using Xinerama.  This did, alas, preclude us from using Compiz
since Compiz has no support for Xinerama (or vice-versa)... but that's a
small price to pay.

The end result is two logical monitors.  One spans two physical monitors
and so it looks like a very loooong monitor to full-screen apps.  The
other logical monitor is exactly the size of the physical monitor.

In your case, you could very likely just extend that concept to using
two TwinView setups combined with Xinerama (assuming you are using NVidia).