OT: Free OpenSource JAD/J2EE WAP SSH Client for Phones

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Tue Nov 25 17:43:14 MST 2008

He's going to be stuck between usability and security with a two tierd approach?  Plus we have not even started to dissect the web SSL/Apache exploits (which is another HUGE subject)!

I am waiting for end to end Cell BlackBerry Encryption (outside of Enterprise Servers) and VPN applications for phones!

His solution is going to be either their Unlimited Data Pack upgrade [$49.99] with a static IP, or deploy "calculated risk" in leaving open SSH to the WHOLE SWIP assigned ARIN AT&T block on his server to access port 22 via the phone.

Server settings per security recommendations: (/etc/ssh/sshd_config):

1) Use Protocol 2
2) Disallow root access [Fools Rush in!]
3) Setup Keys
4) Really complex password [8 characters or greater]
5) Password Aging (bi-monthly)
6) Wrap SSH with SSHIT or SSHUTOUT [http://anp.ath.cx/sshit/]
7) Deploy the two line IPTABLES SSH overflow protection AND control SSH port source and destination if possible (full SWIP'd IP Class A for AT&T) [http://kevin.vanzonneveld.net/techblog/article/block_brute_force_attacks_with_iptables/]
8) Run tripwire and rootkit comparison tools from /etc/cron.monthly.

Of course, he could run SSH on another port JUST for his phone [while doing all of the above] (depending on which application he is using on the phone) - some don't allow unique ports other than 22 (and he would have to use SSHUTOUT [since it's one of the few that allow unqiue custom ports]).

www.Obnosis.com |  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations:obnosis |
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=obnosis (503)754-4452
Catch the January PLUG HackFest!   Kristy Westphal, CSO for the Arizona Department of Economic
Security will provide a one hour
presentation on forensics.