OpenStreetMap- the online world map that's both free and Free

Brandon Aguirre brandon at cloudmade.com
Sun Nov 23 13:19:18 MST 2008

Not quite,
We're using that as a base to recruit folks to improve upon. If you
look at anywhere else in the world  (London, Sydney, or even Kinshasa)
you'll see that the maps look relatively similar. The thing to keep in
mind is that none of those countries provide anything like TIGER. All
the data  you see was mapped out by members. So, with the US providing
an extremely comprehensive (albeit crappy) set of data for free, the
possibilities are endless for how we could much we can improve upon it.
There's two ways to edit in OSM, one is to go out and map using a GPS
and the other is to switch to edit mode and use aerial images to
'correct' the TIGER data. And the system is updated every Wednesday
(in Britain, so Tuesday night here) so you can make changes to the map
and see your changes in less that one week's time. When you find
something incorrect in the traditional online maps, you have no
recourse for correction. And that's only if it isn't an Easter Egg
that is incorrect on purpose.

Cheers,

Brandon Aguirre
Community Development