OT: Pentagon Hit by Unprecedented Cyber Attack

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Nov 21 10:15:34 MST 2008

The USB key is loaded by Microsoft when inserted, and will happily run any autorun "utilities" copied to it.

1) worms
2) trojans
3) autorun trojans boot sector attacks

Windows suggests that user's disable the autorun features:
http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/ht/autorun.htm

However, most high security sites disallow USB keys.

As we all know, we could setup a fine sniffer, or arp cache poisoning tool, coordinated localhost attack, Metasploit scripted attack, all happily running on a "blanked screen" USB key booted to BIOS on any DoD Dell.

They disallow Blackberry camera phones, BlueTooth and you also can't get to YouTube, Flickr, Myspace, or your Gmail and MSN webmail also!

www.Obnosis.com |  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations:obnosis |
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=obnosis (503)754-4452
Catch the January PLUG HackFest!   Kristy Westphal, CSO for the Arizona Department of Economic
Security will provide a one hour
presentation on forensics.