Is anybody having display issues with the latest Kubuntu ?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 08:28:23 MST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Vaughn Treude <vltreude at deru.com> wrote:
> kitepilot at kitepilot.com wrote:
>> At first I thought: "well...   Those #$&% Nvidia drivers..."
>> But then I saw it happening with ATI boards.
>> Anecdotally I can say that I have seen it happening in just about each and
>> everyone of the 15-something computers (desktops and laptops) that I have
>> installed Kubuntu onto.
>>
>> And it SUCKS...    :(
>>
>> Mostly with Firefox, but also with Konsole and other applications, suddenly
>> the display inside a particular window quits (it goes black)...
>> After resizing it a random amount of times (but mostly after shrinking it)
>> the display comes back alive and well.
>>

> Is this related to scrolling? I have a problem with scrolling on my Dell
> notebook running Ubuntu. It actually only happens when connected to an
> external monitor, and then _usually_ only if I forget to turn on the
> external monitor until after it's booted. Any window that scrolls goes
> black in the scrolled portion. The window redraws itself correctly if I
> minimize and restore, or if I move another window in front of it
> temporarily. Restarting the X server does not help. The only cure for
> this maddening condition is to reboot.
>
> Vaughn
>
>> Keyboard and mouse input are taken (at least some times) cuz you can see
>> some reactions after the display comes back, but it is ungodly ANNOYING!!!
>>
>> Is anybody experiencing something like that, or is it the little gnome
>> following me again with the camera and laughing at my expenses?
>>
>> I mean, it would be funny...
>> If it wasn't happening to me...   :(
>> ET

I am not sure from your description, but it sounds a lot like a
"problem" I have seen.  If there is a monitor or projector plugged in
at startup, the system appears to treat it as the primary display.
That may be reasonable for some people and situations.  I do not find
it so since there are many reasons why one may not even see anything
but black on the external monitor and trying to anything is a recipe
for the unknown to happen.  And, yes, the only solution seems to be to
inplug the monitor and restart.

Exception, if you can see the display on the external monitor (say by
turning it on :), and you are using the nvidia driver, you may be able
to fix that by setting the two monitors to be clones.  It sucks, but

So ... this may not be related to your issue, I cannot tell.

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and