Setting up Printer in Ubuntu

Richard Wilson relw at mchsi.com
Wed Nov 19 23:16:40 MST 2008

All,

I am helping a friend try to get his printer working under Ubuntu
(version 8.04.1, I believe), which is a release with which I am not very
familiar, being heavy into Red Hat and Fedora.

He's asked for my help getting his printer working, a Lexmark 35-4500,
which I haven't been able to find listed at http://linuxprinting.org.  I
asked him to confirm the model more than once -- I suspect I may have to
visit him and see this thing for myself...

Can anyone point me at Ubuntu's equivalent of Yum? (apt-get?)  I expect
I'll have to download some stuff to get this printer working.  Any
pointers anyone can share are appreciated -- I am not a fan of Lexmark,
but would like to help my friend out.

Complicating all this is my friend's lack of Internet connectivity -- I
frequently download stuff for him and burn it to CD or DVD.  Any ideas
on how to burn an ISO of all available Ubuntu updates on a Fedora
system?

Thanks in advance,

Richard Wilson
Apache Junction