Multibooting Article

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 09:14:03 MST 2008

I know this sounds a bit too OT since it is so much about M$ stuff,
but I found it most useful to help with multibooting Linux on top of
one or more flavors of windows.  That is why I really think it is ON
topic for this list.

I mentioned this at the East side meeting.  The article is an
excellent read although it turned out to have less about multibooting
Linux than I had hoped.  NTL, it does provide the clearest information
I have seen about how various versions of windows up through Vista
interact and what is wrong with those methods.  For Linux users who
must support multibooting Linux and various flavors of windows this
should be helpful.  The author also describes what boot management
methods can be improved and what products use those methods.  It comes
to 9 pages including diagrams.

   http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html

And for those who must work with Vista boot configuration data, here
are a couple of resources that might prove useful.

   http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 is a utility to manipulate the BCD
data easily
   http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709667.aspx has info
about command line options for M$ BCDedit program
   http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/bcd.mspx has
a link to d/l a white paper that describes some of this

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and