kernel oops

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Nov 12 08:56:37 MST 2008

Hi David!

A Few Solutions:

1)  Email piped dmesg to yourself!

a) Here's what cron will look like:

       # Use /bin/bash to run commands, instead of the default /bin/sh
       SHELL=/bin/bash
       # Mail output, no matter whose crontab this is
       MAILTO=david at damnetwork.net
       #
       # run five minutes after midnight, every day
       5 0 * * *       $HOME/bin/daily.job >> $HOME/tmp/out 2>&1
       # run at 2:15pm on the first of every month -- output mailed to paul
       15 14 1 * *     $HOME/bin/monthly
       # run at 10 pm on weekdays, annoy David
       0 22 * * 1-5    dmesg| mail -s "Oops"

b) Here's what a syslog.conf email entry might look like (season to taste)

*.alert;kern.err;daemon.err  david

*.alert  roothttp://www.softpanorama.org/Logs/Syslog/syslog_configuration_examples.shtml

2) http://www.logwatch.org/  Logwatch is a great tool that will immediately notify you via email and is trivial to configure in RH/FC:

http://pbraun.nethence.com/doc/sysutils/logwatch.html

Warning - check your versions, since older versions of Logwatch had race conditions and security holes.  ALWAYS check EVERY version of software SOLUTION you install on a PRODUCTION SYSTEM to be able to mitigate risk through port and service controls at your bastion firewall or via iptables.

3) A central log server (and optiminally a database) makes for the best solution should you need to maintain a great deal of systems.

Syslog-ng is the most powerful.  http://www.syslog.org/wiki/Syslog-ng/Syslog-ngWiki

Additionally, should the system be encroached, their quick log edits will not affect the log server.

You can setup unique logging alerts for instance depending on your application needs.

a) http://ben.muppethouse.com/SYSLOG-DOC.html  describes a Postgresql solution for syslog-ng.  You can also use pgadmin which provides a web based management for it.

b) http://web.singnet.com.sg/~garyttt/Installing%20and%20configuring%20centralized%20syslog-ng.htm  Syslog-ng with MySql; use phpmyadmin to customize.

Obnosis.com |  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations:obnosis |
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=obnosis (503)754-4452
> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 07:15:08 -0700
> From: jfinstrom at rhinoequipment.com
> To: plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
> Subject: Re: kernel oops
>
> You can use the syslog daemon and netcat. I don't have the directions
> off hand but they are likely easy to find on google.
>
> On 11/12/08, David <david at damnetwork.net> wrote:
> > I've been getting quite a few kernel oops' recently on a rh server.
> > All my google searches have been via serial terminal or serial
> > printer.   Is there a more modern way of capturing the oops other than
> > via serial terminal?
> >
> > Thanks for any help
> > David
> >
> > "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
> > --Darth Vader

> Sent from my mobile device
>
> James Finstrom
> Rhino Equipment Corp.
> http://rhinoequipment.com ~ http://postug.com
>  Sometimes for it to "just work" you have to think outside the box!
> Phone: 1-877-RHINO-T1 ~ FAX: +1 (480) 961-1826
> IP: guest at asterisk.rhinoequipment.com

Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up today.