running windows within Linux

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 20:57:29 MST 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 8:24 PM, mike havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was told about running windows within a linux install a couple of days
> ago. I assume this ,eans I will keep my windows partition intact. How does
> this work; is it like WINE?
>
> --
> :-)~MIKE~(-:

There are three ways to get Windows apps running on a PC that boots Linux.

The first is dual-boot.  You choose a real copy of Winwhatever at
boot, side by side with Linux.  The advantage is that you get 100%
pure total Windows compatibility.  The bad news is that a Windows
virus can nuke your hard disk's ability to boot either OS.  This is
the usual choice for gamers.

Wine adds a partial Windows compatibility layer under Linux and lets
you run some Windows apps.  The selection is actually pretty decent
but there are sometimes odd glitches.  Not for mission-critical
business apps, that's for damnsure.

A Windows Virtual Machine lets you run a real copy of Windows (most
people go with XP) underneath Linux.  You boot Linux then start a
"Virtual Machine Manager" application in which you create (or after
that, adjust) the "hardware parameters" for a fake computer that in
turn runs Windows.

This is what I use.

On my 2gig Ubuntu machine, I use VirtualBox (www.virtualbox.org) to
specify a virtual machine with, in my case, 768megs RAM.  Windows runs
in that.  Whenever I use Virtualbox's management screen to start
Windows, it eats that much RAM from my system.

When installing Windows, I also set up a Windows disk space file.
This file in the Linux directories is right now about 3gig last I
looked, and is allowed to grow to 15gig max per my settings.  I could
create a second "disk file" for the virtual machine if I wanted.

Virtualbox comes in two flavors: Open Source Edition (OSE) usually
found in your distro's repositories, or the "Personal Evaluation Use
License" (the "full tilt" copy) free for personal non-commercial use,
but businesses need to pay for it.

The difference is, the "full tilt"  variant can do networking between
the host Linux side and the guest Windows side.  In the Virtualbox
manager screen, you can select Linux directories to share with
Windows, and from within Windows access those as drive letters.  You
can also do "USB passthrough", connecting USB devices straight to the
guest Windows box.  Don't do that to a mouse, but it can be damned
useful for printers and other stuff.  (For USB memory sticks, just
share /media or your equivelent with Windows so that within Windows
you can access USB disks even if they're formatted EXT3 or similar.)

This works really, really well.  Stable as all hell.  The only
downsides are a slight speed penalty, and we don't yet have the
ability to do 3D gaming within the Windows virtual machine.  (They're
working on that.)

The advantages are huge.  Any Windows virus is limited to affecting
the Windows "disk file" which is in your home directory and if you're
smart, backed up on a regular basis.  You can also save a whole series
of special-needs Windows installs and copy the one you need to the
working directory.

I'm running the latest Virtualbox 2.0.4 off of their repository under
Ubuntu Intrepid.  Zero problems...I use it to take apart voting system
databases and for various test purposes.  And let's be honest, you
never know when you just have to run a Win app...hell, I once rented a
Blockbuster video that just would NOT play in anything.  Several
apt-gets later I said screw it, fired up Windows, watched my damn
movie :).  It happens, y'know?

System requirements: I'd recommend at least a P4 1.4gHz with 1gig RAM
as a starting point.  More memory will help, as will any sort of
dual-core CPU (AMD or Intel) as they have "hardware virtualization
support" known as VT-x if it's Intel and AMD-V in, you guessed it...

I run all this on the lowest possible grade of dual-core lappy
possible ($500 Best Buy special Dell 1525) with 2gigs.  It worked fine
on my last rig, a Celeron-M 1.6gHz Acer with 1.5gigs RAM.  I'm able to
use Compiz to put Windows up on one pane of the cube fullscreen and
rotate to Linux as desired...great way to freak out the Windows
droids.

I was able to run a speed comparo with that Acer next to an identical
machine running Vista home edition straight-up.  I set up both with
1gig RAM, with my box running Ubuntu, Virtualbox and XP.  Running
*Windows* application (MS-Office stuff) my critter was faster with RAM
split 50/50 Ubuntu/Windows.  Blew my mind.

Hope this helps.

Jim