ubuntu 8.04 and firefox 3 woes

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Nov 8 09:03:24 MST 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 00:19 -0700, Joshua Zeidner wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 12:15 AM, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
>         Am 08. Nov, 2008 schwätzte jdawg so:
>

>                 Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>
>                          FF3 gives me problems with Flash.  Test and
>                         see if it is a Flash
>                         applets that are causing your problem.
>
>                 yeah. i bet it is ... what can be done about that?
>                 probably nothing.
>

>         Adobe flash player is borken in some ways and we can't fix it.
>
>         Add the flashblock plugin to keep the flashplayer from being
>         used unless
>         you want it.
>
>         See if gnash is working in Intrepid and either upgrade to
>         Intrepid or see
>         if there's a gnash backport to Gutsy.
>
>     Ive had good experiences with Ubuntu + Flash + FF2.  I think the
> problem lies in FF3 + Flash, which also has problems in Windows.
>
>     I would not suggest using the gnash plugin.  Projects like Gnash
> and Blackdown always seem to be borken or out of date.
----
As I understand it, Gnash claims considerable but not complete
compatibility with Flash 7 but Adobe now has released Flash 10 plugin
for Linux and many web sites are using flash features newer than version
7. It is however, a laudable effort to play flash stuff via open source
rather than installing a proprietary blob and Adobe's flash has had a
number of security issues.

I have found that the 'noscript' addon/extension to Firefox really tames
runaway Flash stuff but still there are times when it does seem to bog
down on FF3. I also recommend disabling the Acrobat Reader plugin as
that really hangs FF (both FF2 and FF3) but I do like the Acrobat Reader
program better than the open source alternatives at this point.

Thus my recommendation is to stick with FF3, install noscript and maybe
flashblock too to tamp down runaway Flash (your pages will load much
faster too and you will be spared a lot of junk ads) and you should
function reasonably well. I have been able to keep FF3 running for a
week or two before I have to close it.

Craig