Gedit/text editor question

jdawg jdawgaz at cox.net
Fri Nov 7 23:37:33 MST 2008

Paul Mooring wrote:
> I've beening using emacs for java programming the last couple weeks and
> like being able to open multiple windows at once. I recently started
> using gedit mostly because it has a plugin the let's me embed a terminal
> window in the bottom pane that I can use for compiling/running reading
> error messages ect. but it drives me crazy that there's no key board
> shortcut to switch between the terminal and the editor window, and I
> can't open something in the editor from the terminal. Is there a way to
> do this or another editor that can work this way?
>
> -Paul

I guess I am old school, I don't really like IDE's, never have. Even
when I had to use one for 4 years.
(I did some Delphi work on Windows for a while about 11-12 years ago ...
hush don't tell anyone that I was a Windows prostitute once)

if you use konsole (i.e. kde's terminal)
you can just do CTRL-SHIFT-N to create a new terminal tab
then use CTRL-right or CTRL-left to go between the tabs (i.e. terminal
sessions)

I use this to edit with vim, and compile, debug, and run
one tab (session) to keep the file in the editor, the other tab to do
the compile, debug, run
when in vim when I want to recompile, I just do a :w, then move to the
next tab, and do the compile
it is very simple, and when you get use to it, it is simple and fast.

--
Happy Trails!
Jerry (K7AZJ)