Disk wiping recommendations

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Fri Nov 7 20:43:51 MST 2008

Jon M. Hanson wrote:
> I'll repeat what I recommended to Hans just earlier today: Darik's
> Boot and Nuke: http://www.dban.org.

DBAN works nicely. I think hans also tried using the "shred" utility
that most distros come with. Be aware that doing a secure of a hard disk
that is 40GB or larger will take a considerable amount of time. Doing
the most basic level wipe of a laptop with a 5400 RPM drive took 6 hours
:(  YYMV depending on the size of your drive, the speed of the
drive+interface, and the number of passes you select.

-Charles