an idea for keeping the moderating sorta "low pressure" (was: Re: right on the edge...)

Mike Schwartz schwartz at acm.org
Wed Nov 5 23:23:35 MST 2008

I think it would be preferable to have the decisions made
    by the moderator, not be [normally] decisions to KILL a given
    post or thread "completely", but rather, just result in -- at worst --
    the post or thread getting "moved" to another discussion list,
    (maybe call it the "PLUG-Alt" list).
THIS WAY, they would
   *still* get mailed out -- and archived! -- just not on the main
   "PLUG-Discuss" list!
This way, it would be much LESS of an emotional issue,
   when a certain decision got made by a moderator.
   (a decision that, [let's say], someone disagreed with!).
Also:  maybe the moderator should have the option to
   ["suggest" that the poster (/ author) should]
   **modify the "Subj:" header** of a given message,
   e.g. to add "OT: " to the beginning of it.
   OR, maybe, just to make it more helpful / correct.
We could allow that, the poster could always
   "decline" to do so, but being stubborn and "refusing"
    to go along with the suggestion, might tend to
   lead to stuff getting transferred to the PLUG-Alt list.
   (Not a too severe of a consequence).
Those who choose to do so, can subscribe to BOTH lists.
    Those whose post got "moved" to the PLUG-Alt list,
    could ask to "appeal" the decision, via a message to some
    committee (which should probably reside on the PLUG-Alt list!),
    but that would not be as big a deal,
    since no matter what gets decided,
    we are not talking about ANY posts getting censored completely,
    we are just talking about [maybe] getting moved to a different list.
    Also, all of that "appealing" [**"if"** any!] (see above)
    would all happen outside the visibility of most readers,
    who don't want to be bothered with it.
Also (*IMPORTANT), all of the "appealing",
    (along with all of the flaming, or other posts
        that  got "moved" to the PLUG-Alt list,
        as determined by the moderator)
    (maybe including some "OT" posts?...)
    would *also* (!) remain **outside** the visibility
    of most "new" or "prospective" [possible future]
    readers of the main "PLUG-Discuss" list!
    so, they would not get disgusted / a bad impression,
    due to accidentally tuning in
    on a day when some very severe flaming
    (or, whatever) was taking place.
Again of course, this is just my 0.02,
    but I think this idea would help to satisfy those who do
    ["seem" to] want to flame each other,
    or want to discuss "OT: " topics,
    while not bothering (very much) the "general public".
(Hey!  "general public" -- ! ...is that what the "GP" in "GPL"
    stands for?  Woo-Hoo!)
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ