right on the edge...

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Nov 5 21:40:15 MST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Ryan Rix <phrkonaleash at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree, this, imo, immature bickering about who was or was not elected
> needs to stop. We all have our own opinions and will fight to the death. I
> suggest making a rule, at least, not to touch:
>
> *Politics
> *Religion

I agree with this.

> These posts will get either moderated or just plain dropped.

Are you offering to be moderator?  Do you have the time for that?  How
will we ensure that the moderator is fair?  How will you define fair?
Who will drop posts?  How we ensure that they are fair?

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket on discussion about solutions.  I'm
glad it's being discussed.  But any solution must be practical to
implement and defined in a way that will actually work.  If the group
wants a moderator, we will have to answer the above questions, an
probably more I'm not thinking of right now.

> Any other ideas?

The ideas I like most are:

 *Self moderation out of respect for the group and the topic of the
list.  This means don't make off-topic posts.
 *Community moderation, which usually works.    This means respond to
off-topic posts only to ask them to stop.

Both of the above broke down on this, the day after a hard-fought and
historic election.  We must re-enforce them.

Maybe a monthly publication of expected participation activity would
be appropriate.

Alan