news coverage of FCC decision (was: Re: white space frequencies freed)

Mike Schwartz schwartz at acm.org
Wed Nov 5 16:47:36 MST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> Lost in the political discussions this morning...
>
> FCC Green-Lights White Space Access
>
> http://www.crn.com/networking/212000630
>
> I think this has the potential of being very big
>
> Craig

The Washington Post also had a page-1 [of section D] story about this:
    FCC Expands Use of Airwavesthat was picked up by acm TechNews:

http://technews.acm.org/archives.cfm?fo=2008-11-nov/nov-05-2008.html#386238
Some quotes:
[1]  << "Tech firms describe the spectrum as Wi-Fi on steroids, and say the
industry will benefit [...]" >>
(where, upon closer lookup, it turns out that "Tech firms" means guys like
  Microsoft's Bill Gates, - and Google's Sergey Brin and Larry Page)
[2]  << "Public interest groups praised the decision [...]" >>
The link [which said "May Require Free Registration" -- but it worked OK for
me]
to the "full article":
    View Full Article<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/04/AR2008110403425.html>

pointed to:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/04/AR2008110403425.html
That "original" article also mentions some deal-making surrounding the
FCC's approval of
"Verizon's $28.1 billion purchase of Alltel"
and it has other stuff, such as, a quote from Dolly Parton (now in a
Broadway version of "9 to 5") ["...The Musical"] about the importance
of wireless microphones (still being able to work OK).
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org