Upgrade from Kubuntu 8.04 to 8.10?

Jason Hayes jason at jasonhayes.org
Wed Nov 5 16:17:39 MST 2008

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 15:12:42 Alan Dayley wrote:
> I'm thinking about upgrading my laptop from the recently installed
> Kubuntu "Hardy Heron" 8.04 to the newly released "Intrepid Ibex."  But
> then I thought, Heron is doing find for me, why change?
>
> Did any of you have a compelling reason to upgrade?  What was your reason?
>
> Alan

No compelling reasons to make the upgrade on this end. I was actually just
interested to see what changes they had made. So I used the online upgrade
option last night for my Lenovo T61p.

Overall it appears to have worked well and I have not encountered any problems
yet.

Brief thoughts:
I had used the KDE 4 version of Hardy and had some issues with the switch from
KDE 3. That seems to be addressed in 8.10.

I did notice that the upgrade removed or broke Skype. So I will need to
reinstall that.

The upgrade instructions also note that after the upgrade, going back to KDE3
will be difficult.
--
Jason Hayes