We are screwed.

Nathan nathan at paysonlinux.org
Wed Nov 5 13:20:50 MST 2008

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 12:18:18 Josh Coffman wrote:
> [...]
> > > Self interest? Whatever happened to, "Ask not what your country can do
> > > for you; but for what you can do for your country,"  and to the
> > > STATESMAN mindset rathedr than to the politician mindset.
> > >

> This list if full of individuals with widely varying views, and arguments
> such as this will do little to change the mind of most of us.  Despite that,
> I grow tired of ignorant statements.
>
> Obama won't tax those making less than 300k, then 250k, then 150k, then
> 120k.. Did know one else notice that? Does no one else remember Clinton's
> 1992 campaign on middle class tax cuts and making the "rich pay their fair
> share"? Does no one else remember that Clinton then announced there will be
> no tax cuts on Jan 15th, 1993 before he was even sworn in? Does no one else
> remember Clinton's largest tax increase in US history?
>
> If you hang your hopes and dreams on any politician (Dem, Repub, or
> otherwise), you will be sorely disappointed.
>
> Obama isn't going to give tax cuts, though he may further increase tax
> refunds given to those not paying taxes.  If you haven't been paying
> attention, the Bush tax cuts are temporary and will expire soon.  This will
> bring back the death tax, increase capital gains tax rates, and
> substantially increase tax rates across the board.  Congress has no
> intention of making the Bush tax cuts permanent.  It will be easy for Obama
> to claim he want to give people a break, and blame Congress for not giving
> him a bill or whatever excuse. That's politics. Obama isn't any different,
> and may actually be among the worst of them.  Look, he's offered a cabinet
> to Rahm "f--- them" Emanual.
>
> I don't blame people for wanting to kick the Republicans to the curb; it's
> just unfortunate that they've marred the values I stand for but which they
> didn't actually uphold.  If you look around the world and at our own
> history, it should be pretty obvious that government and bureacracy can't
> fix your life.  The best thing it can do is provide for defense and equal
> opportunity then get out of your way.
>
> Do you actually trust the government to run more programs and in anyway make
> decisions for you with the track record they have? Deficit, Iraq war
> pre-surge, Afghanistan right now, social security, welfare, healthcare laws
> and regulation, 8000 pages of tax code (wtf?), bridge to nowhere,
> subsidizing wooden arrows in a bank bail out bill, the bank bail out
> itself.. seriously?
>
> For the liberals, congratulations for the most liberal admin and congress in
> us history. Good luck with that. For the neo-cons, thanks, appreciate it
> (not).  For the conservatives, like myself, this will bring clarity. That is
> a good thing.
>
> In the end, this is still America. I, for one, am still proud to be an
> American and love this country for things like election. It is a major
> political shift, and it is a peacful one.
>
> Now, lemme try that gmail mute thing again.

Good post. I agree with most of what you said. I did not like either candidate, but being forced to take part in a two party system, I had to pick which one I thought was better for the country, and I will not lie and say my Bible had nothing to do with it. Some of Obama's ideas are fine. Same with Mccain. Some of them are really quite scary! Same with Mccain. None of which is anything Bush wouldn't or hasn't already done himself.

Nonetheless, the media ran out Ron Paul so he never had a chance. It's unfortunate, but this is the mess we are stuck with.
I will quote you because I think you said it well...
> In the end, this is still America. I, for one, am still proud to be an
> American and love this country for things like election. It is a major
> political shift, and it is a peacful one

nathan