We are screwed.

Josh Coffman josh at computeristsolutions.com
Wed Nov 5 12:18:18 MST 2008

mute.. mute mute dammit, gmail. ok fine..

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Josh Andler <scislac at gmail.com> wrote:

> I find the irony in quoting a Democrat when trying to defend Republicans
> to be quite amusing. :P

If your measure were based on the values represented by the quote and not
the party of the speaker, then you would not find it ironic.

> mike havens wrote:
> > Self interest? Whatever happened to, "Ask not what your country can do
> > for you; but for what you can do for your country,"  and to the
> > STATESMAN mindset rathedr than to the politician mindset.

This list if full of individuals with widely varying views, and arguments
such as this will do little to change the mind of most of us.  Despite that,
I grow tired of ignorant statements.

Obama won't tax those making less than 300k, then 250k, then 150k, then
120k.. Did know one else notice that? Does no one else remember Clinton's
1992 campaign on middle class tax cuts and making the "rich pay their fair
share"? Does no one else remember that Clinton then announced there will be
no tax cuts on Jan 15th, 1993 before he was even sworn in? Does no one else
remember Clinton's largest tax increase in US history?

If you hang your hopes and dreams on any politician (Dem, Repub, or
otherwise), you will be sorely disappointed.

Obama isn't going to give tax cuts, though he may further increase tax
refunds given to those not paying taxes.  If you haven't been paying
attention, the Bush tax cuts are temporary and will expire soon.  This will
bring back the death tax, increase capital gains tax rates, and
substantially increase tax rates across the board.  Congress has no
intention of making the Bush tax cuts permanent.  It will be easy for Obama
to claim he want to give people a break, and blame Congress for not giving
him a bill or whatever excuse. That's politics. Obama isn't any different,
and may actually be among the worst of them.  Look, he's offered a cabinet
to Rahm "f--- them" Emanual.

I don't blame people for wanting to kick the Republicans to the curb; it's
just unfortunate that they've marred the values I stand for but which they
didn't actually uphold.  If you look around the world and at our own
history, it should be pretty obvious that government and bureacracy can't
fix your life.  The best thing it can do is provide for defense and equal
opportunity then get out of your way.

Do you actually trust the government to run more programs and in anyway make
decisions for you with the track record they have? Deficit, Iraq war
pre-surge, Afghanistan right now, social security, welfare, healthcare laws
and regulation, 8000 pages of tax code (wtf?), bridge to nowhere,
subsidizing wooden arrows in a bank bail out bill, the bank bail out
itself.. seriously?

For the liberals, congratulations for the most liberal admin and congress in
us history. Good luck with that. For the neo-cons, thanks, appreciate it
(not).  For the conservatives, like myself, this will bring clarity. That is
a good thing.

In the end, this is still America. I, for one, am still proud to be an
American and love this country for things like election. It is a major
political shift, and it is a peacful one.

Now, lemme try that gmail mute thing again.

-j