Processor Temperature

eculbert eculbert at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 09:29:35 MST 2008

40C is 104F. Nice temp for a cpu. Should warm up somewhat from cold start. IF possible sit the computer either in the refrig for about 30 minutes then hookup and see what the temp is. NOT THE FREEZER, but the refrig part. Also, vary the temp in the room if possible...should be able to do that early in the day..just open windows. Then heat up the place early day to uncomfortable level. It should cause a slight increase.

IF the thermistor under the cpu chip isn't touching the bottom of the cpu, then it wont vary much. May just need carefully, very carefully and with a anti-static wrist band removing the cpu and bending up the thermistor so that it is pushed back down but remains touching the cpu underside to get it working if when you look at it it is obviously lower than the bottom of the cpu is. Static problems and not gently seating the cpu down are the main pitfalls of doing this.

Go to radio shack and get a tube of 'heat sink compound', about $4??. It is a white gel non conducting electrically but helps transfer the heat from a device to something else, usually a heatsink for power devices, but the thermistor should have some on it to accurately read the temp. Place a 'dab' on the top of the thermistor to conduct the heat when it comes in contact with the bottom of the cpu as you reinstall it. Maybe the factory didn't put any on the thermistor and as a result it doesn't get as warm as the cpu is getting as only a tiny spot on the thermistor is touching the bottom of the cpu..possible...saw that on one 'problem' cpu once.

73

Ed/ke7feg  ....Now that Novemeber is here, April can wait!

On 2/23/2007 the morse code requirement was dropped for getting
a ham license. Now just pass the written exams which are on the
web at arrl.org for questions and http://www.kb0mga.net/exams/