Backup to Thumb Drive

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 11:58:54 MST 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:15 AM, James Finstrom
<jfinstrom at rhinoequipment.com> wrote:
> I would say cheap thumb drives are a bad idea. I would also have an
> alternitive. I have seen some of these low end thumb drives corrupt if you
> breath on them. The secret thus far has been to write the data, verify then
> write protect the device. We use thumb drives for Kickstarts and production
> scripting, I have thrown away all the cheap thumb drives without write
> protection and have replaced them with thumb drives with a write protect
> switch. This has reduced the need to recreate corrupted drives. I would
> recomend a thumbdrive and ftp backuo scheme. It is always good to backup off
> site incase of fire or federal confiscation (just kidding)

James,

I have been looking for thumbdrives with a physical write protect
switch for some time unsuccessfully.  Where do you get them and what
brand(s)?

I have one from Memorex but need more space.  I use them to bring
troubleshooting software to machines I service but whose status wrt
viruses, etc. is unknown.  Hence the need to use a true physical write
protect method and not depend on a violable software write protect
scheme.

Thanks in advance,
Larry Thiel

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and