Backup to Thumb Drive

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Mon Nov 3 07:30:17 MST 2008

Okay, thumb drives are getting cheap, and I'm curious from a data
retention perspective if they're a good backup medium.  I'm worried that
they're slow, but I think that isn't as too much of an issue in my
situation.

What I like to do is take the occasional backup and put it in my safety
deposit box for safe keeping.  Currently, I can fit everything on a DVD
which makes that possible (well, everything but pictures/media) but I'm
getting close to that not being an option.  I'm thinking that if I
bought two 8GB flash drives that'd fit the bill.  But, since the point
of back up is to restore, I was curious what people thought of my
chances there.

	Thanks,
		Ted