OT: I'm 95% Linux, but need a little win.xp help

Lisa Kachold l_iesa at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 13:56:41 MST 2008

Various XP Alternatives:

a)  Change the way you live:
Blackberry for Groupware if your company has a server?

b) Change the way you work:
1) Run whatever application you require from within wine...
2) Run XP in VMWARE player - various pre-cooked installations are already available for free player.  Player is easy to install under Linux.
3) Use a linux variant?

What is it that precludes chucking Windows?

If your Corporate mistress requires you to use cisco VPN via their certificate there is still an alternative, however they might not support it.
If those are the kinds of questions, certainly PLUG is for you.

Not that I don't also like running many distros (including Windows, MAC OS X, Solaris and Irix [making them all work together])... But you seemed dissatisfied with your current dependence?

Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote: .
While I use Linux for 95% of my work, I still have to use
win.xp for a few things and sure would like to find someone
(or someplace like PLUG) where I could submit questions that
come up from time.

M$ is terribly frustrating, and I wish I could discard it
entirely; but I'm stuck with having to use it for some things.

The M$ file and directory structure seems very lame and confusing.

Is there any way to eliminate that ridiculous "My" in several
folder names?  "My Computer" "My Documents" "My Pictures" etc.

Can one just rename all those folders to eliminate "My" ...
and eliminate spaces in *all* file and folder/directory names?

And why does "My Documents" show up in more than one place?

(602)325-5325 Asterisk
(503)754-4452 Blackberry
EDVO/CDMA on Dell PII Kubuntu 7.10