gmail won't accept all plug mails

mike havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Tue May 27 15:03:51 MST 2008

I looked in my cox webmail and noticed many plug-mails that haven't
been going going to gmail. Any idea why?
-----

This has happened to me in the past  and still does quite often with
other mailing lists. For whatever reason, i get a couple of emails
flagged as spam and i have to move them to my inbox. I make it a
routine to check my spam folder every other day and filter out any
legit emails.
-----
One of my gmail "filters" is this:
  Matches: to:(<plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>)
  Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "PLUG-DISCUSS"
It means that, if something in the contents of (or, all of)
the "To: " header, matches the address in parentheses there,
then skip the "Inbox", and put the message straight in to a
folder called "PLUG-DISCUSS".
  I am not sure whether this will accomplish anything to
"white list" stuff that contains that PLUG list address in
parentheses there, but in order to do that, you can eventually
train the (gmail) "bulk mail" filter, by occasionally marking
something as "Not Spam" if
[1]  it showed up in the so-called "Spam" folder, and
[2]  it is stuff you really want to read  (this category would
     presumably include any periodicals or other lists - like
     this one - which you subscribe to..)

Eventually I think it will "learn" that any message that
comes in with <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us> in
the "To: " header, looks sufficiently similar to some of those
message[s] (maybe it only takes one?) that have already been
"mistakenly" labeled as Spam, and that had to be "manually"
marked as "Not Spam" by the token human, ...
so it will [do something to cause it to] [learn to] start being
more likely that - from now on - those messages will not get
"filtered" (won't get relegated to the "Spam" folder).

The rest of this may be OT (skip...)

How to "OK" mail from a specific "From:" address:
For stuff from a specific individual, you can add their
address to your contacts list.
I think this will effectively "white list" their
e-mail address, so that, from now on, mail from
that sender will bypass the gmail "Spam" filter.

--> One easy way to do that:
Any time you are reading a message,
["filtered" or not],
you got from a friend (well, from a non spammer),
if the sender is not already in your "contacts list",
then one of the drop-down choices in the little "Reply"
list that also has choices for "Reply All" , "Forward",
"Print", etc., will be a choice for
   "*** add Joe Shmoe to Contacts list ***".
Just click on that.
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org
-----

I have that too...... sorta..... mine says 'from' instead of 'to'.
I'll just add the 'to' label.the real strange thing about this is that
it does not go to 'spam' but instead to the 'trash' folder.
Thanks for the help!
-----

Well, up at the top of the SPAM folder, there "is" a line saying:
  Delete all spam messages now (messages that have been in Spam more
than 30 days will be automatically deleted)
and if you either click on the blue underlined option "Delete all spam
messages now", *OR* wait
more than 30 days, then yeah, the items would [should] wind up in the
'trash' folder
(or maybe nowhere [?] -- I am not too familiar with how deleting spam works...)
    ELSE, I do not know why they would go in to the 'trash' folder.
-----

when you delete mail from gmail spam it doesn't go to the trash folder....
say hello to /dev/null :)The trash folder is reserved for stuff from
the other folders. cool? I sure wish there was a .dev.null option in the
filters! but alas, you can only send stuff to trash ...... hey! That
is a better idea.... send it to spam instead if trash. I don't believe
I just realized that''''. Or did it go to spam originally and i JUST
GOT SICK OF IT? then, after it is deleted it is gone..... Yipee!
thINMGS THAT MAKE YOU GO..... DUHHHHHHHH? hahahahha

 when you delete mail from spam it doesn't go to the trash folder....
 say hello to /dev/null :)The trash folder is reserved for stuff from
 the other folders. I sure wish there was a .dev.null option in the
 filters! but alas, you can only send stuff to trash ...... hey! That
is a better idea.... send it to spam. I don't believe I just realized