clamwin

Jon M. Hanson jon at the-hansons-az.net
Fri May 23 12:32:00 MST 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 07:20:04PM +0000, mike havens wrote:
> When I attempt to download clam win for my windows box it always
> freezes. Does anyone know why this is?
>
> I just discovered that I needed it because I was infected.....
> everything broke on the laptop! I figured that it would be easier to
> just reinstall a fresh instance of the OS rather than mess with
> downloading the AV with a virus in the system. So that is what I
> did..... I even got the network working again without asking. Well, I
> called broadband tech support but I figured out what the problem was
> before he did. I had set a static IP for the card  but the card didn't
> like that. Perhaps I should dd the hd and then put a fresh instance on
> it. Or is that just overkill?

Once you have a virus you can't trust anything on the operating system.
Many viruses have built-in logic to kill running anti-virus programs or
any attempts to install them. At this link
(http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html) is
a bootable CD that runs Linux which will also scan for viruses on your
system. If you're operating system isn't running then neither are the
viruses that can hide themselves by intercepting operating system calls.