Best Vista Error EVAR, gaming, and software requests, and an Ubuntu gripe

alex at crackpot.org alex at crackpot.org
Wed May 21 09:32:08 MST 2008

Quoting "der.hans" <PLUGd at LuftHans.com>:

> Am 20. Mai, 2008 schwätzte Erich Newell so:
>
>> If you do this however...I highly recommend editing the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>> file to not allow root logon.
>
> Shouldn't sshd generally be configured to not allow logging in as root?

It should.  But even recent distros like RHEL5 shipped sshd_config
with 'PermitRootLogin yes', which for some unfathomable reason is the
default set by the OpenSSH project.

I just checked the source code for OpenSSH 5.0p1, which is the most
recent stable release I could find, and 'PermitRootLogin yes' is still
the default in sshd_config.

http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/openssh/portable/openssh-5.0p1.tar.gz

alex