Best Vista Error EVAR, gaming, and software requests, and an Ubuntu gripe

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue May 20 02:00:56 MST 2008

Am 19. Mai, 2008 schwätzte storkus at storkus.com so:

> Next up, the question: has anyone tried gaming on FreeBSD?  I've seen
> past stuff mainly about problems WRT native software liking ALSA over
> OSS, but I don't know if that's
> been solved or got worse.  What about WINE and its decendants?

I'm always trying to find gaming info for *NIX. I discovered atanks last
week, but doubt it'd fit real gaming cravings.

> Finally, has anyone got a copy of FreeBSD 7 or Slackware 12.1?
>
> For those at the installfest last weekend, I STILL don't have a working
> install, and I worked on it all day.  ACPI on this laptop is turning out
> to be a MAJOR headache!
> One big weirdness (for me, anyway) is that the kernel on the install
> disks works fine but my compiled kernels all fail when they try to mount
> the root filesystem.

What error are you getting? Can't find root partition type of errors? Are
you getting your initrds? Do they include the module for whatever
filesystem you're using for root?

> As I'm writing this, I recall that, on modern Slackware anyway, they use
> modules and an initrd image, so maybe that's it.

Yup. Everything does at this point. The kernel is too big to boot if you
don't put some stuff in modules. Maybe some hardware can handle big,
monolithic kernels, but that's not the general case.

> Oh, and that Ubuntu gripe: who the hell makes a live-CD/install disk
> where the root/superuser account is password protected?!?  And said
> password is nowhere to be found
> on the disk!  What gives?!?  Ubuntu is clearly too windozey for my
> taste.  Blech! :(

Said password doesn't exist. By default root doesn't have a password on
Ubuntu boxen. You can add one, but it would be better to just use sudo.

windows understands account and privilege seperation? windows understands
security? Maybe in a Bizarro world...

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        https://LOPSA.org/
#  "Every person who has mastered a profession is a skeptic concerning it."