Best Vista Error EVAR, gaming, and software requests, and an Ubuntu gripe

storkus at storkus.com storkus at storkus.com
Mon May 19 23:56:11 MST 2008

I came across this while searching for the answer to the question
following this, and IMMEDIATELY posted it here!  Feel free to forward it
to /. if you have an account there.

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/king3vbo/best-vista-error-evar-toppled-by-new-error--58729.phtml

Next up, the question: has anyone tried gaming on FreeBSD?  I've seen
past stuff mainly about problems WRT native software liking ALSA over
OSS, but I don't know if that's
been solved or got worse.  What about WINE and its decendants?

Finally, has anyone got a copy of FreeBSD 7 or Slackware 12.1?

For those at the installfest last weekend, I STILL don't have a working
install, and I worked on it all day.  ACPI on this laptop is turning out
to be a MAJOR headache!
One big weirdness (for me, anyway) is that the kernel on the install
disks works fine but my compiled kernels all fail when they try to mount
the root filesystem.
As I'm writing this, I recall that, on modern Slackware anyway, they use
modules and an initrd image, so maybe that's it.

Oh, and that Ubuntu gripe: who the hell makes a live-CD/install disk
where the root/superuser account is password protected?!?  And said
password is nowhere to be found
on the disk!  What gives?!?  Ubuntu is clearly too windozey for my
taste.  Blech! :(

Mike