Microsoft joins OLPC

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at member.fsf.org
Mon May 19 21:01:51 MST 2008

Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> writes:

> Rhune Lord wrote:
> > http://www.redherring.com/Home/24265
> > Quick read & a little OT but any  thoughts?
>
> I don't see this as OT.
>
> Negroponte and OLPC was the first major force to overcome the "chicken
> and egg" problem with widespread Linux adoption.  This problem is that
> few mainstream manufacturers, software makers, etc. support Linux
> because there are not enough Linux users.  And there aren't enough
> Linux users because there isn't enough mainstream industry support.
> OLPC was to be millions of computers all running Linux/FS/OSS, taking
> a huge step to solve the "enough users" side of the problem.

<SNIP>
> But, I am very disappointed at the apparent capitulation to using MS
> software.  It sends the message that Free Software is still not good
> enough, even though we know it is and can be.  It contradicts many of
> the earlier statements made by the OLPC project about autonomy and
> local investment for the users of the computers.  And so it makes me
> think that the project really does not believe in what they set out to
> do as the remove a foundational principle.
>
> And that is sad.
>
> Alan

I agree with everyone else that this is a sad day. Following on the ISO fiasco I can't see it as any other than more of M$ Embrace, Extend and Extinguish.

The openness of both the hardware (coreboot) and the software stack in the XO was unique, so much so that RMS is (maybe that should be was now) planning to use the XO in place of his Thinkpad which because it didn't have a proprietary BIOS.
Dennisk

--
"Free as in Freedom"
Free Software Foundation