Reformatted hd, reinstalled XP, no internet connection

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Wed May 14 20:47:48 MST 2008

Not always true, I had the issue when I tested the line with a direct
network connection to the cox cable modem.  I saw it was working,
getting dhcp just fine, and I was able to get a web page without a
problem.  I then unplugged everything, rearranged wires to not be so
ugly and balled up like they were, plugged the cable modem in and
watched it initialize and sync with cox.  I plugged my Belkin wireless
router into it (yes, into the right port :) ) and once I got a dhcp
address internally on my laptop, I got a cox page everytime I went
somewhere, saying to contact customer service.  Needless to say, when
I called tech support, they were very terse and told me they don't
support anything other than a single computer connected to their
network.  When they blanked the mac on their end and they told me to
"hook the computer up the right way", I took a funky little laptop
that barely booted and used that for the initial MAC sequencing.  Once
we disconnected, I cloned that MAC onto the wireless router as the
internet mac, and threw the laptop away.  No problem since.

--Dan

--
Thanks,
Dan Lund