Reformatted hd, reinstalled XP, no internet connection

eculbert eculbert at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 20:16:47 MST 2008

That person reformatted the hd, then tried and
successfully got xp sp1 to load and it will boot. But
the cox connection wont boot from the computer to the
cox box. The external box says by the idiot lights
that it is talking to the outside world according to
her, but the computer no longer connects to the
internet after she tried to upgrade the amd 64 3000
and msi board to the service pack 3.

Apparently something in the bios or somewhere firmware
changed. Sounds like the eth0 connection isn't doing
its thing after the sp3 messed with the computer.

I may get her brother to haul my old system down to
make sure that the cox box works to the internet.

Any ideas?

One idea I have is to first try and figure out how to
get to the bios at startup.. (delete, f-1, etc) and
tell it to reset to factory or do you think this is
feasible solution?

Second Idea. Could sp3 have somehow hosed the firmware
in her ethernet card?

Ed/ke7feg

Did I mention, 2/23/07 the FCC dropped all cw (AKA Morse code) testing for any class of license as a ham? Just pass the written and "U's a ham"!! Many sites test online, but you have to go for the real test. $14 for as high as you can climb in one session.