Installed Ubuntu 8.04

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Sun May 11 18:58:00 MST 2008

I had that same problem back in 1999 or 2000 I believe.  I used LILO
to get around it...
Had something to do with the segment it was located on the disk, and
the hardware having problems addressing past a certain part at boot.
For some reason, hard reset and soft reset have different
characteristics.  & only on some hardware....
One way to work around it is to create a real small partition for boot
as (h|s)da1... like 25mb or 50mb.  Try pulling everything down to 1 or
2gb for the second partition and use the final partition for swap
space.  If that works, you know the problem.
Or just use LILO when Grub's not your thing :)  (disclaimer: I've
never used Ubuntu, so I'm not sure of the "only uses <x> application"
setup for them.

--Dan

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Clayton Stapleton <clay4291 at inbox.com> wrote:
> Installed Ubuntu 8.04 a week ago Wed. It was installed on a USB 500 G drive. After the install and the system restarted the startup hung with "Grub Loading Stage 1.5
>  Grub loading – Please wait
>  ERROR 21"
>  To get the system working again I had to press the Restart button on the computer. Then it went into a normal startup. I HATE GRUB!!
>  Whenever I start the computer from a cold start it goes into a normal startup. When I do a restart it hangs as above and I have to press the restart button,
>  Otherwise things function as expected.
>  Is there a simple way to get Grub operating properly?
>
>  Clay Stapleton

Thanks,
Dan Lund