House Passes PRO IP Bill

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 07:59:50 MST 2008

Why not solar power?  The sun shines strong in Arizona!

Mike Garfias <mike at garfias.org> wrote:
On May 9, 2008, at 3:39 AM, Robert N. Eaton wrote:
> I, too, think ethanol is a remarkable fuel for racing.  It burns cool,
> it allows very high compression ratios, and it produces very high
> specific outputs for a given capacity engine.
>
> BUT, it contains about one fourth as many calories as gasoline, pound
> for pound. This means that to reach a certain power output, the engine
> needs four times as much ethanol.  One author I read stated that there
> just isn't enough arable land in the world to support our energy habit
> on an ethanol economy and still allow us to eat.
>
> Bob Eaton

Its more like 67% not 25% (23.5MJ/L vs 34.8MJ/L).  You also make up
for some of that with the efficiency boost from running higher
compression.  As a racing fuel goes, gasoline (specifically a racing
formula high in toluene or xylene) is a better fuel than ethanol.  In
the turbocharged F1 days, they were running nearly straight toluene in
order to run the massive boost levels that gave approximately 1000hp/
Liter.

Toluene is 114 octane, vs ethanols 116, but has a higher energy
density.  Xylene has toluene's energy density combined with 117 octane.

Also, a lot of the studies that show ethanol is  bad thing are based
on a corn derived ethanol.  The process is inefficient (1 unit of
energy in gives 1.34units out).  Brazil uses sugar cane derived
ethanol which gives 8 units for every one going in. The only reason
we're doing it with corn is because of the corn lobby and its federal
subsidies.

If they can ever get cellulosic ethanol production to ramp, all the
left overs from farming, cutting the lawn, your old veggies, etc could
be used.

Again, ethanol isn't a bad idea, its just being done stupidly.  Which
makes me suspect that it might be done this way to tighten up the
global food supply to raise prices and keep the US in power as the
"world leader".

Keith Smith
(520) 207-9877
PHP Programmer