feeding internet from broadband to router

Michael Havens bmike101 at cox.net
Thu May 8 18:17:11 MST 2008

preface:
router- linksys broadband g router
desktop- old computer built in 97 running Linux
laptop- windows xp

I SOOOOO want to dump COX and Verizon so I got a magicjack and a sprint
broadband card. Guess what! It works like a champ:) Now I need to get my
linux box back online before i cancel things (thank goodness for the rebate
and return checks). I figured it would be an easy thing! Just move the
ethernet cord that runs from the router to the modem to run from the laptop
to the router. Guess I was wrng. Darn!

Here is what happens:
When I disconnect the cord from the router to the modem from the modem the
internet light on the router goes out. Then, after I connect said end to the
laptop the internet light goes on but it will not load any pages on the
desktop and it will not ping www.google.com so I suppose this means I have no
connectivity. Hmmmmmmm.... I wonder! Is it set only to recieve? If that is
the problem how do I set it to send?

Thanks for any help you are willing to provide.