GNOME and focus stealing

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu May 8 13:59:18 MST 2008

moin moin,

I had heard this was finally fixed in GNOME and should've gone away 6
months ago[0].

GNOME is still allowing applications to steal focus in my Ubuntu Hardy
8.04 install. I guess it's technically Metacity that's allowing the focus
stealing, but it's all GNOME to me. Apparently Compiz has the same issue.

Just found something in gconf-editor[1]. / -> apps -> metacity -> general
-> focus_new_windows. Apparently they haven't looked at the definition of
smart.

###
This option provides additional control over how newly created windows get
focus. It has two possible values; "smart" applies the user's normal focus
mode, and "strict" results in windows started from a terminal not being
given focus.
###

Hopefully strict finally fixes the problem.

Hmm, apparently not. Does X have to be restarted for gconf changes to take
effect?

[0] Focus stealing should've not been an issue in the first place.

[1] We shouldn't have to go to gconf-editor to turn on an important
security feature.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/        https://LOPSA.org/
#  Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.