grub grub grub grub grub ad nauseum

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon May 5 00:46:32 MST 2008

Am 03. Mai, 2008 schwätzte Joseph Sinclair so:

moin moin Joseph,

> Apparently repeating it's name is how GRUB Stage 1 tells you it's trying to find it's brain (Stage 2), and can't.

This is what I was wanting to know. Danke.

> According to the Gentoo Grub Error Guide, this is possibly either a BIOS disk detection issue or a reinstallation issue:
>
> I looked into this a bit further, and it seems to be a common problem with systems that have both IDE and SATA/SCSI hard drives.  Most GRUB versions seem to get the ordering wrong unless the IDE is the first (MBR) drive at both setup and boot.  I suspect this is a BIOS extensions issue, where a disk controller reorders the disks at a late BIOS stage, but the MBR is scanned earlier than that, so GRUB setup sees one BIOS order, but GRUB boot sees another.
> The solution seems to be to modify the disk order in the GRUB config and reinstall to the (correct) MBR.
>
> Another source seems to be related to BIOS autodetect of disks, sometimes GRUB seems to handle this poorly, and the solution in those cases is to user-specify drive parameters in BIOS.

I think that's my problem. The BIOS and GNU/Linux are of different
opinions as to the disk ordering on this machine.

> Links:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/booting-my-new-ubuntu-install-grub-grub-grub-grub-grub-etc.-518849/

Your google-fu exceeds my own. That should be expected, though :).

> Here's a video, it requires stupid flash, however, so I can't see it to know if it is relevant or even appropriate (watch at own risk).
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ax9HrZJGDsE

Sound doesn't exist while I'm running the System Rescue CD kernel. This
can be a major advantage for many youtube videos :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        https://LOPSA.org/