How to open .azw or .prc (mobireader) files

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon May 5 00:39:57 MST 2008

Am 05. Mai, 2008 schwätzte Josef Lowder so:

> My system is Mandriva 2006 so I don't think apt-get will work and
> I do not have Synaptic on this system.  The fbreader website says
> that the download is for Linux desktops and it does not seem to be
> source code that needs to be compiled.  It says to extract it in
> the root directory, so I tried to do that in /root and that resulted
> in a lot of subdirectories including 'share' and 'usr' and 'bin' and
> some others ... and trying to execute 'fbreader' does not work, but
> gives an error message referring to some missing 'lib' file.
>
> So, I wonder if they meant I was supposed to extract the tarball in
> '/' rather than '/root' ... and I wonder if there is any risk in
> trying to do that since there are already existing directories by
> the same names in the top '/' directory.

I'm certain they mean /. I consider that to be bad form.

If you're going to just extract it, then extract it in /usr/local instead.
That'll at least put it all there and not mess with the packages you got
from Mandriva.

After extracting into /usr/local you might need to run ldconfig to make
sure your system knows about new libraries. You might also need to adjust
your PATH to include /usr/local/bin or exclusively call the utility,
/usr/local/bin/fbreader.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/        https://LOPSA.org/
#  veni, vidi, wiki - I came, I saw, I documented