east side meeting and asterisk stuff

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sat Mar 29 08:21:23 MST 2008

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Geek Girl wrote:

> Lol it has noting to do with the spec file it has to do with
> trixbox not being stable...

... but 'trixbox' is not asterisk;  in the #centos IRC channel
on freenode, where I might be found daily, my lieutenants and
I regularly are beseiged by refugees with the *BROKEN*
downstream fork, of CentOS, called trixbox (and others too)

The problem was sufficently common that we have a whole wiki
page devoted to the problem:
    http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BrokenVserver

Asterisk packagings are tricky as well, as most do not get
along with the packaging system, but want to unroll and build
tarballs as root (another *very bad idea*).  Mine do not share
that defect, and will build as non-root, and run just fine.

> for example their 2.4 branch was pretty stable but now they released 2.6 and
> overwrote the 2.4 repositories and everything updates to 2.6. Plus 2.4 was
> still buggy...They are actually in the process of testing a nother revision
> this eve at trixbox but they are even skeptical of weather or not it is
> fixed.  Plus they they are known for hosing their repos regularly...

Then all you have done is confirmed that the trixbox
developers cannot write an effective test plan, and cannot
identify and fix regressions.  Or maintain repositories ;)

Seems to me this is a good reason not to use the particular
product; or to get involved and displace the non-competents
(if possible); or failing all that, fork and do it right
(think: OpenPBX).  Brian Adams <?> at OpenPBX had me speak at
their 'ClueCon' convention a couple years ago about CentOS and
telephony, and the OS in use split about 50:50 between CentOS
and Debian, from a show of hands;

- Russ herrold

links from prior email: