How to handle OT & spam on a mail list

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 12:43:27 MST 2008

On 27 Mar 2008 21:50:58 -0700, Dennis Kibbe <dennisk at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Mail clients, like Evolution & T'bird are not designed to handle mail lists where you receive a large volume of mail that can clog your inbox and which is often off topic.

  Dennis,  Herein lies the problem- the sematics of 'off topic'.  'Off
topic' has an entirely subjective use.  For those who subscribe to
this list to trade System Administration tips, this thread is *Off
Topic*.

>  One way to get around this problem is to read the list with a newsreader like pan or gnus (Emacs). You can do this at www.gmane.org by subscribing to gmane.org.user-groups.linux.phoenix.

  There are lots of tools available for mitigating the problems you,
and many others before you, have identified.  Blogging, Digg, Social
Networking and many more are established methods of managing the
problem of signal-to-noise ratios on internet based communications
media.  While I am not really that familiar with gmane, it is hardly
the dominant solution for this class of problems.

   What confuses the hell out of me is why have all this legal
overhead when these usage scenarios can be enforced with technology
rather than stipulating acceptable behavior guidelines such as you
have just done.  I mean, this is a group for computer programmers
right?

  "NO TOP POSTING!!!!!"

  Best,

   Joshua Zeidner