Cfengine

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Wed Mar 26 12:16:45 MST 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Kevin Faulkner <kondor6c at cox.net> wrote:
> I remember someone at the meeting mentioning that Cfengine is going to be doing
>  a big change. Will this effect the current scripts that are out there?

Kevin

It is my understanding that there is going to be a significant
'harmonization' across the syntax for Cfengine3, so I would expect
scripts will break between versions. I think this is being driven by
the formal alignment of Cfengine with Promise Theory as a high level
management perspective on IT and a real desire to reduce the 'secret
handshake' factor(problem!) that has resulted from Cfegine's past
organic growth. OT - Cfengine & Promise Theory fits well with ITIL
prescriptions if you are on that path .(itpi.org)

Some signs of preparation for this change are the Cfengine3 training
pack already released ahead of version 3, a recently redone
cfengine.org site, and the new cfengine.com commercial portal. For
background information, essays and documents, you should dig into the
University site (now deprecated)
http://www.iu.hio.no/cfengine/papers.html

Cfengine3 is expected toward the end of this year (2008) - for that
ticket you are entering into your change management system... right
;)

Ed