Linux history test

Mike Schwartz schwartz at acm.org
Mon Mar 24 14:59:21 MST 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe the quiz was wrong.  I chose August as well.  I suspect many of
> us knew the 1991 but were just unsure of the month.
>
> That said I must bow to you all as I only got 60 and I even already
> have a beard.
> --
> [...]

according to
     http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux/msg/073d19aafd79cbb9
 it says
 << "  [...]

In In August 25, 1991 Linus posted the following message on the MINIX news
 group:

        From: torva... at klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
         Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
         Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
         Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT

        Hello everybody out there using minix -
         I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
         professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
         since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on
         things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
         (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
         among other things). I've currently ported bash(1.08) and
 gcc(1.40),and
         things seem to work.This implies that I'll get something practical
 within a
         few months, andI'd like to know what features most people would
 want. Any
         suggestions are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
         Linus (torva... at kruuna.helsinki.fi)
         PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded
 fs.
         It [...] (uses 386 task switching etc), and [...] :-(.
 Linux version 0.01 was released in mid September 1991, and was put on the

So, it appears that the announcement was in Aug
("25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT"), but the 0.01 release was in Sept.
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale AZ
schwartz at acm.org