Sendmail configuration

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 16:13:43 MST 2008

Postfix has the myorigin setting, which makes it a lot easier.

To avoid getting that error on mail sent from sendmail you'll have to
configure the Masquerades and pick a DNS entry that DOES exist.  It just
doesn't have to tie back to your IP.

Agreed that it takes some knowhow in sendmail.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net>
wrote:

> After a long battle with technology, Deepan wrote:
> > I am using sendmail via php mail function to send emails. However[, a]
> few
> > servers reject my mails with the error 'Sender address rejected: Domain
> not
> > found', since mails from my server are sent as
> email at localhost.localdomain.
> > How do I change this to a valid domain name? We only own a public IP, we
> > [don't] really have a domain name.  Is it possible to use [a bare] IP ?
>
> If you don't have valid forward and reverse DNS for the IP you're sending
> from, a fair number of places will give you a 500-series error.  There are
> good reasons for doing that, since mail from a place that has invalid DNS
> is
> much more likely to be spam.  Get a domain name of some type; go through
> dyndns.org if you're small-time.  Don't neglect reverse DNS!  If "host
> deepan.example.org" gets you "1.2.3.4", but "host 1.2.3.4"
> returns "SERVFAIL", then your reverse DNS is not set.  Unset reverse DNS
> means you can't send mail to AOL and probably yahoo users.  NOTE:  forward
> and reverse DNS do not have to match, they just have to be valid names.
>  Lots
> of times, they don't match (yay for multiple domains on one box).
>
> And are you really using sendmail?  Unless you're a sendmail guru (which
> you
> aren't) or you have one on staff (unlikely), then it's often a lot simpler
> use postfix or exim.
>
> --
>   You have me mixed up with more creative ways of being stupid.
>   --MegaHAL, trained on random gibberish
>  My blog and resume: http://crow202.dyndns.org:8080/wordpress/
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to
> see

James McPhee
jmcphe at gmail.com