****Re: AZ's own Gabrielle Giffords votes to increase foreign work visas

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 18:52:39 MST 2008

good article!

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote: On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 05:59 -0700, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> >     I agree that the whole H-1b visa thing completely stinks and I presume
> >     that IBM and perhaps some other corporate interests are probably the
> >     motivation for this.
> >
> >     I agree that the corporate interests have way too much influence in
> >     politics.
> >
> >     I don't agree that this is the place to start calling politicians
> >     'sleazeballs' simply because they have taken a position probably
> >     contrary to most people here.
> >
> >     Craig
>
> I'll be happy to call Giffords a sleazeball.  First of all, the
> Democrats are allegedly supposed to be looking out for the common
> people. This proves they're (or at least, Giffords is) as bad as the
> Republicans as far as sucking up to the giant corporations. 2nd of all,
> the H1-B visa is a form of indentured servitude that  ties workers to
> their employer (the alternative is deportation) that seriously undercuts
> the wages of American engineers. It would be 100% better to admit those
> 130,000 engineers as permanent residents, with no strings attached.
> There's no shortage of engineers, just a shortage of engineers who'll
> work for 3rd world wages.
----
I'm not impressed that one can make such sweeping conclusions based upon
single issues, especially one that most people generally don't pay much
attention to.

I would bet that Giffords has had little outcry from her constituents on
the matter which of course is the issue...that this doesn't directly
affect most people.

I would also bet that there are several employers in her district
pushing her on the issue and the two things that motivate politicians
are politically sensitive issues with their constituents and money.

I would suggest that sleazeball labels are not likely to do much of
anything but organized constituents can certainly nullify influential
corporations.

Now, to fire people up on just how corporations use H1B visa's to
exploit, union busting, or just generally screwing workers and some even
call this slavery, check this out...

http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=8909132310cbccc654ef3070586039f7

Craig

Keith Smith