Are Linux boxes vulnerable to be used by botnets?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Mar 17 09:02:33 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Erich Newell wrote:
[ botnets, ssh brute force attacks, etcetera ]
> I recommend Single Packet Authentication or Port Knocking for use in
> conjunction with your SSH service.

Port knocking is really useful, but you need to have something on the remote
client that can send the knock sequences--knock or netcat or even telnet.
This may or may not be easy, depending on what the remote client is.  So I
have my sshd listening on 22 and a non-standard port.  22's blocked off with
iptables/knockd.  The non-standard port is not.  I haven't seen any
brute-force ssh attacks in the last 3 weeks according to the logs.

--
   Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft.  That will just be a
   completely unintentional side effect.  --Linus Torvalds