Intel 3945

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 09:14:39 MST 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Rhune Lord <rhunelord at gmail.com> wrote:
> II feel stupid,
>
>  I tried editing or grabbing code for the ipwconfig of an Intel 3945
>  mini-pci wlan card.  However, everything I have tried has failed.
>
>  Dell Inspiron 640m
>  Ubuntu 7.10
>  2GB of Ram
>  120GB HDD
>
>  Ubuntu sees the drivers and is using them but going to the networking
>  icon in thee top right also does not show a wireless option.  Either I
>  am using bad commands in terminal or something, any suggestions?
>
>  Brian
>  ---------------------------------------------------

Actually, from a base install of ubuntu 7.10 it should just work.
Before doing any real troubleshooting I would suggest just booting the
7.10 LiveCD and see if it works right there.  If it does, that is a
fairly significant clue that something was either changed or leftover
from a previous version (like if you upgraded from 7.04) is blocking
it.

BTW, my laptop uses the Intel 3945 and the only problem I had was with
network manager, the wireless worked from the word go.  Yours is
apparently different in being on a PCI card?  In any case, it should
be easy.

You could also open a terminal and run iwconfig to see if any wireless
interface is found and get some info about it (ifconfig should show it
as well but does not distinguish wireless from other IFs).  One other
command that can tell you a lot once you know the interface name is
iwlist.  For example, "iwlist eth1 scanning" yields a list if the
networks the wireless card sees assuming eth1 is the wireless card and
that it supports the scanning function.

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and